- There are approximately 5,225 small businesses in the South LA Promise Zone as of 2022
- A large number of small businesses are clustered in the northeast corner of the South LA Promise Zone (close to Downtown Los Angeles)
Source: Reference USA Business Database
- Small businesses are defined as privately-owned businesses with a single location and less than 100 employees.
- Data was pulled from the Reference USA database in September of 2022.
Active Businesses (of Any Size)
- There are 19,864 active businesses registered with the City of Los Angeles in the South LA Promise Zone that were open for at least half of 2022.
- Over the last decade, the number of active businesses in the South LA Promise Zone has increased by over 4,000 businesses.
Source: City of Los Angeles Office of Finance
- A business is considered “active” in a year if it is operational for at least half of that calendar year.
- Over the last decade, the number of people in the South LA Promise Zone acquiring licenses in Automotive Repairs, Construction/Contracting, Barbering & Cosmetology, and Security & Investigative Services has been increasing
- Between 2019 and 2022, over 3,165 people acquired Security & Investigative Licenses, far more than any other license type.
- In 2022, 46 people acquired a license for Construction/Contractors, nearly twice as many as the previous year.
State of California Department of Consumer Affairs
State of California Contractors Licensing Board